Acts 17:28

From: M. Phillips (mphilli3@mail.tds.net)
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 13:46:28 EST

        I have a question regarding the use of KINOUMEQA -- it is listed as
passive in many places (BAG, for example, Balz & Schneider's Exegetical
Dictionary, for another). I know it stems from Aratus, Phaenomena 5,
according to Nestle-Aland margin. How do I determine whether this is
passive or middle voice? If passive, then we are being moved, if middle,
we are moving (for) ourselves. The question comes up in the context of
studying Calvin's Institutes, i.e., Calvin would celebrate the notion of
God's moving us, as do I. I wonder, however, what the language of this
particular passage represents, and while I continue to study for myself
(middle) <grin>, I wonder if I could evoke some contemplative response from
the great b-greek sages (all of you, of course, being included in this
address).

---
Michael Phillips
mphilli3@indy.tdsnet.com

"Celui qui est proche de l'Eglise est souvent loin de Dieu." (S/He who is near the Church is often far from God/dess). --Freely translated from Les Proverbes Communs, Circa 1500.