Re: Luke 19:33

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Fri Feb 13 1998 - 02:26:38 EST

Marty Brownfield wrote:

> Maybe your friend was confused by the genitive absolute, and didn't
> recognize that AUTWN was the subject of LUONTWN and tried to translate the
> phrase "untying their colt" (or something similar) instead of "as they were
> untying the colt".
>
> Otherwise, if there really is some anomaly, I'm missing it as well.

Actually Marty, my friend realised the use of the genitive absolute. That was
why he asked me the question. He just could not see anything anomalous in the
construction either. It was a question prompted by a worksheet he was asked to
do at college asking him to comment on what was 'wrong' with the construction.
I think it just must have been a trick question!

Best regards!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Email: gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au

(Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm)