Re: Rev 22:17--who ERCOU?

From: John Reece (jonree@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 01:26:20 EST

Trevor M Peterson wrote [in response to Ben, whose words begin the
following quote]:
> [snipped]
> >
> > ISTM that these ERCOUs are addressed to hO ERCOMENOS (IDOU ERCOMAI
> >TACU,
> > verse 12; NAI, ERCOMAI TACU, verse 20a). The writer echoes earnestly
> >AMHN,=
> >
> > ERCOU *KURIE IHSOU* (verse 20b).
>
> I can definitely see that as possible, but IMO the more immediate context
> makes this connection difficult.
> >
> > So, ERCOU is addressed by the Spirit and the Bride to the Groom, who
> >respo=
> >nds
> > IDOU [NAI] ERCOMAI TACU.
>
> In v. 20? That seems like quite a delay in the response. Also, it seems
> superfluous to then add the further request of ERCOU KURIE IHSOU.
>
> [snipped]
> >
> > Verse 17c has another subject, hO DIYWN. Here is the final Gospel
> >call to
> > the unsaved bystander: hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHS
> >DWREAN=
>
> But how do you explain the sudden change? It seems natural in the
> immediate context to preserve continuity throughout vv. 16-17, as Carl
> has already pointed out.
>
> Trevor
>
> P.S.--I've done a bit more investigation. Some suggest that the usage of
> ERCOMAI in Revelation favors Christ as the subject, but of the imperative
> uses, I could find only one (22:20) that refers to Him. The others all
> refer to John, thus favoring a coming of humans to where Christ wants
> them, rather than that of Christ to us.

Yes, Trever. In addition to your comments above, and Carl's
contributions, consider also the symmetry of the opening and closing of
the biblical revelation: In the creation story, the tree of life is made
off limits to man. In the closing chapter of Revelation (20:14), the
tree of life is made accessible to man. Because of the cohesion of
context, the RSV of Revelation 20:14-18, in the Nestle-Aland GNT diglot,
is set apart by spacing as a unit. Verses 14 and 15 distinguish between
those who do,and those who do not, have access to the tree of life and
the city. In verse 16, Jesus speaks in the first person, and is
immediately followed by the Spirit and the Bride saying "...ERCOU." This
is most naturally (not per presuppositions, but by context) taken as an
invitation to all who are not already a part of the Bride and partakers
of the Holy Spirit to come to Jesus, the Spirit, and the Bride. In
accord with what Carl said, this is an invitation which is expansive and
timeless.

On the other hand, the ERCOMAI of Jesus has a specific time reference:
TACU. Would anyone care to take up the subject of the sense of TACU in
Revelation? Specifically, can the word mean anything like "at any time
within the next 1900+ years"?

John
John Reece
Manor Hills, North Carolina, USA