Re: Matt. 6:9//Lk. 11:2

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 18:17:54 EST

Edgar M. Krentz wrote:

> I don't think it is the disciples, Christians generally, or any human being.
>
> Read Ezekiel 36, Jeff, where Ezekiel describes how God must hallow his own
> name which Israel has defiled. Ezekiel lays out an entire program of action
> that God will carry out so that the name which Israel has defiled will be
> hallowed among the nations. And that, I submit, is an eschatological
> petition.
>
> Then you may agree with me that every petition in the LP asks God to act,
> not human beings. The prayer is, after all, addressed to hO PATHR hO EN
> TOIS OURANOIS.

Read also, John 1:29, where the Baptist prophesies:

IDE hO AMNOS TOU QHEU hO AIRWN THN hAMARTIAN TOU KOSMOU.

I believe that it is hO AMNOS TOU QHEU who hallows God's name. Understand that
my interpretation of John 1:29 is similar to that of C.H. Dodd. What the
Baptist prophesies is the removal of sin from the KOSMOS by the apocalyptic hO
AMNOS TOU QHEU.

Switching to the Apocalypse, in chapters 4-6ff we see the (still future)
unfolding of this prophecy by the Baptist where the hO AMNOS TOU QHEU, now
identified as TO ARNION TO ESFAGMENON actually removes sin, totally and
finally, from the KOSMOS in a very violent and catastrophic manner. It is this
removal of sin from the KOSMOS by TO ARNION TO ESFAGMENON that hallows God's name.

This is of course only one aspect of how TO ARNION TO ESFAGMENON hallows God's
name. Certainly the atonement plays a major role in the hallowing of God's
name but for a development of that theme one needs to go to Romans 1-5. That
there is a connection between the atonement and the removal of sin, totally
and finally from the KOSMOS is quite clearly indicated in Apoc. 5:9ff where TO
ARNION receives the TO BIBLION because ESFAGHS KAI HGORASAS TW QEO EN TW
AIMATI . . ., and when the TO ARNION opens the seals of the book God's name is
hallowed.

My reading of John 1:29 and the Apocalypse is against the grain of main stream
NT scholarship. I know that. Doesn't bother me in the least.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

PostScript

My apologies to Jeffery Gibson for departing from his rules of engagement. I know this is not an answer to his question. Edger's post provoked my response. However, the only connection between our posts is the notion that this is eschatological subject. And even with that we probably use the term eschatological differently.