Eph 2:14-15

From: Richard Lindeman (richlind@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 20:37:53 EST

Ed Komosewzki writes:

>For the above reasons, the present writer prefers the first view examined
>and offers the following interpretive gloss:
>"For he himself is our peace, who made us Jews and Gentiles one people by
>destroying the dividing wall, which was the hostility that once separated
>us. By means of his death on the cross he has brought an end to the
>Jewish law that once excluded Gentiles, so that peace would result by
>giving both Jews and Gentiles one new identity in Him."

I am inclined to agree with Eds translation here... and I do not believe
that in the end it clashes too greatly with Bens observations above.
If one takes verse 15 as an expansion and explanation of verse 14. And, if
we understand that EN TH SARKI AUTOU is placed forward of KATHRGHSAS for
emphasis, then we can infer that it is indeed the death of Christ which is
central to all of the events described in both verses. At first I wanted to
connect the prepositional phrase directly with both KATARGHSAS and LUSAS as
Ben seems to describe above. But I find it difficult to go through the
mental gymnastics which would be required to do so.

Thank you both for your help!

Rich Lindeman