Re: Jn.1:9 FOS or ANQROPON ERXOMENON

From: rhill (rhill@htonline.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 22:17:51 EST

Benjamin Raymond wrote:

> Gotcha. I think all those years of English teachers hammering rules about
> the nearest antecedent have taken deep root. Apparently the Greek is not
> so stringent.

Ben,
Another interesting point, as you may well know, is that in Greek relative
clauses sometimes precede their antecedents!! Note as one example Mt 13:12:
"OSTIS GAR ECEI, DOQHSETAI AUTW. . ." Or the short form of this relative pronoun
found in Mk 4:25: "OS GAR ECEI, DOQHSETAI AUTW. . ." Ostis/Autw and Os/autw

Robert C. Hill