Position of Possesive Pronoun

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 06:01:24 EST

Studying the account of Paul's conversion, I have run into two noteworthy
items in Acts 9:18ff.

The first item is the position of AUTOU in the phrase APEPESAN AUTOU APO TWN
OFQALMWN. I am prepared to accept that a possessive pronoun may precede it's
noun but I was not quite prepared for this kind of separation. It seemed
rather harsh to have a possessive pronoun modify a noun in a prepositional
phrase following the pronoun. My surprise at this construction is just one
more piece of evidence that I still have a "tin ear" when it comes to NT
greek. According to BDF 473.1 this construction is nothing to be alarmed
about. There is another clear example in Mat. 8:8 which reads MOU hUPO THN
STEGHN. This is not an emphatic position according to BDF 473.1.

The second item that shocked me was the phrase TE KAI ANASTAS EBAPTISQH. Did
Luke leave out some important details here, like the fact that there was a
river flowing through the middle of this house? Was this a large house with a
court and a pool, like the Roman mansions? There is no mention of the means by
which Paul EBAPTISQH.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

PostScript

For the Accordance aficionados I did try to build a construct to search for a pattern like AUTOU APO TWN OFQALMWN. I didn't do too well with this. Accordance does not "know" about things like which pronoun belongs to which noun. Therefore one ends up with a lot of hits that need to be sorted through which requires more patience than I have.