Re: Position of Possesive Pronoun

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 12:04:02 EST

George Athas wrote:

> However, there are two ways of reading this little clause. You can place
> AUTOU with TWN OFQALMWN, and render it, "and immediately there fell from
> his eyes...", without any real problem. However, I think an easier
> reading of the Greek is to see AUTOU as standing almost on its own, so
> that the entire action of something falling from the eyes belongs to
> Paul, rather than only the eyes belonging to Paul. I can't offer any
> English translation that really conveys this Greek sense because we have
> no equivalent expression. However, the expression makes perfect
> idiomatic sense in the Greek - take the word of a Greek for it! I
> believe the same thing is happening in Matt 8:8. Let's see if I can
> explain it quasi-diagrammatically:
>
> Option 1: AUTOU referring to TWN OFQALMWN only:
> kai euqews apepesan [AUTOU] apo {TWN OFQALMWN} ws lepides...
>
> Option 2: AUTOU referring to the entire action of APEPESAN APO TWN
> OFQALMWN:
> kai euqews {APEPESAN [AUTOU] APO TWN OFQALMWN} ws lepides...

As I understand this you are not really agreeing with Carl on this. Carl
thinks that AUTOU is limiting the verb and that APO TWN OFQALMWN is also
limiting the verb. So, that in a manner of speaking we have a verb with two
constructs functioning adverbially. I understand Carl's position, although he
would probably not like the wording I use to describe it. However, I don't
quite understand how AUTOU can be limiting: APEPESAN APO TWN OFQALMWN. This
idea doesn't correspond to anything in my system for analysis of Greek syntax.

Furthermore, if your are correct in saying Matt 8:8 is an example of the same
thing, then BDF 473.1 is in error in citing this example. Not impossible, of
course, but something to think about anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point