Re: 1Cor13:1 tongues of angels

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 22:16:38 EST

Hi Ben!

I enjoyed your friend's comments on Welsh being the language of Heaven!
But in my previous post, I wasn't suggesting that Hebrew (or any other
language) was the actual lingua franca of Heaven. I was only making the
point that the "tongue of angels" is, in my opinion, not a language but
rather a descriptive term to describe an orator par excellence. If we
were talking about the literal tongue of angels, then it would have to
be Hebrew since that is all they are seen to speak. I don't think that
is Paul's point, though, and I don't think you can take "tongues of
angels" as a literal language, be it Hebrew, Welsh, Swahili,
Greenlandic, or what have you. It is only a figure of speech.

Best regards as always!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Email: gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au

(Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm)