Re: John 2:20, Rev 11:1 - NAOS and BAGD

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 17:21:23 EST

Wes, I believe Rev 11:1-2 is meant to redefine the concept of "Temple"
as a place where God lives. The imagery draws heavily on Daniel and
Ezekiel, but it is a composite image that is created which has a vastly
different agenda to that of Daniel or Ezekiel. As such, it appears as if
John is using the Jerusalem temple as a symbol or model around which the
new notion of temple is built. Thus, in essence, Rev 11:1-2 is not about
the Jerusalem temple at all, but about the notion of God's elect people,
separate and distinct from the world, as constituting God's Temple in
whom he dwells. I can see why NAOS has been categorised under the
Jerusalem temple here, but it is incorrect. The notion of temple here is
abstract ö without bricks and mortar or specific physical geographical
location.

Best regards!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Email: gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au

(Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm)