John 2:20, Rev 11:1 - NAOS and BAGD

From: Wes Williams (WesWilliams@usa.net)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 15:21:53 EST

There appears to be an overlap in meaning between hIERON and NAOS in some
contexts. Thus, we do not need to always make a rigid distinction between
NAOS (temple sanctuary) and hIERON (the general temple, precincts, grounds,
etc) . In John 2:20 "This NAOS was built in forty-six years," is reasonably
a reference to the entire temple grounds and not to the sanctuary itself.

With this in mind, B-AGD has entries for these two uses of NAOS (a.) of the
temple in Jerusalem, where John 2:20 and Rev 11:1,2 are referenced, and (b.)
of the heavenly sanctuary.

My question is: What were the possible reasonings that lead the B-AGD
editors to place Rev 11:1,2 under the first heading (a.) and not (b.)?

11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood,
saying, Rise,
and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it
not; for it is
given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty
and two months.

It seems reasonable that the v. 2 reference to NAOS extends beyond the
sanctuary itself to encompass, at a minumum, an inner priestly courtyard
since in v. 1, the "altar" and the "people worshipping" implies that these
are in a courtyard. In v. 2, John is told not to measure the "courtyard
outside the NAOS." This implies that the inner courtyard, at least, is part
of the NAOS of v. 2 that is separate from the "courtyard outside."

Are the editors possibly considering the common reference to 'the holy city'
and 'the courtyard outside' as meaning that this NAOS is a reference to
Jerusalem's temple? Or might they be merely saying that this NAOS is
something larger than the sanctuary proper? I think am missing something and
would appreciate some references to research or educated hypotheses here.

Thanks in advance,
Wes Williams