Re: [CoC] Phone Scam?

From: JPDow (mathetes@erols.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 1998 - 13:32:52 EST

This may be a bit off topic, but I thought it was worthwhile
sharing. I came across this on another list.
------------------------
I received this today from a friend of mine...
I received a telephone call from an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T Service Technician that was running a test on
our telephone lines.
He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero
(0), pound sign (#) and hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and
refused.
Upon contacting the telephone company we were informed that by
pushing 90# you end up giving the individual that called you access to
your
telephone line and allows them to place a long distance telephone
call, with
the charge appearing on your telephone bill.
We were further informed that this scam has been originating from
many of the local jails/prisons. Please "pass the word".
George Fousek
AT&T Global Account Director
4 Station Square Suite 400
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
412-642-7023 (voice)
412-642-7119 (fax)

(732) 805-0311
mathetes@erols.com
WWW site: http://www.erols.com/mathetes
"But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly,
his faith is accounted for righteousness" (Romans 4:5, NKJV).