RE: John 1:1 EN ARQH

From: Williams, Wes (Wes.Williams@echostar.com)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 17:46:58 EST

> George Blaisdell wrote:
> >And yet, in virtually all mss, there is no THi ~ And my suggestive
> >question to anyone reading John is... Why?
>

> May be because this word being absolute in itself does not require the
> definite article?

A fine idea but usage does not always support it. The particular
beginning that is referenced must come from context. Two examples of
anarthrous EN ARCH:

Acts 11:15 As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on
us EN ARCH. The reference is to Pentecost.

Brenton LXX: 1 Samuel 17:9 For, behold, he is now hidden in one of the
hills or in some other place: and it shall come to pass when he falls
upon them EN ARCH,

Verses 2 and 3 of John 1 suggest the reference for the beginning of
verse 1 to be probably Genesis 1:1, which describes the creation of
physical things.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams