Re: Proffessor [sic] Blackwelder and participles

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Mar 14 1998 - 09:45:20 EST

> On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:55:06 -0800 "Dale M. Wheeler"
>
> <snip>
>
> >With all due respect to Prof Blackwelder, I doubt very seriously that he
> >would be able to find many (perhaps I should say "any") competent Greek
> >grammarians to agree with him.

With all due respect to Dale Wheeler this statement has some problems. The
deep logic of this statement runs something like this. No competent Greek
grammarian would state "A." So we must conclude that a Greek grammarian who
states "A" is incompetent. I don't know the fancy Latin name for this but it
is a fallacy of some kind. First off, the statement assumes what you intend to
prove. Secondly it is an attack on the opponent with the intention to
discredit him before any evidence is put forward.

Paul S. Dixon wrote:

> Dale, I read your post with great interest.

I also read Dale's post with some interest. I need to get Fanning and read him
again. In light of the controversial nature of this subject I find the tone of
Dale's post just a little on the dogmatic side. I think his overall argument
has some merit. And because it has merit I think the argument is made somewhat
weaker by his opening remarks.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point