Re: BASILEUW EPI - How express rule "on?"

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 00:12:01 EST

Hi Wes!

Yes, I would say that the idea of ruling "on" would be expressed by
using the preposition EN. This would translate the equivalent expression
in Hebrew perfectly (MALAK BeXXXXX) in which the preposition _Be_ would
be used to indicate the location of the one ruling. I also agree with
your rendering of II Ki 11:3/II Chr 22:12 as "over the land".

Best regards!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Email: gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au

(Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm)