Re: The Climax of DOXA

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Sun Mar 29 1998 - 12:24:48 EST

Edgar Foster wrote:

> Dear Ben,
>
> Thanks for your thorough reply. I agree, for the most part, with your
> presentation on DOXA. The one aspect of the account thats giving me
> trouble, however, is John 21:15ff. There Peter is told to follow Jesus
> and is further informed that he will die a death which results in the
> GLORIFICATION of God. How are we to view this part of John's Gospel
> vis-a'-vis the thematic strand of DOXA?

Hello Edgar ~

I am ever impressed with the ability of the Greek to carry so much
weight in a single little word like DOXA.

This passage is presaged in 11:4, regarding Lazarus' death, [which
imho constitutes the 'hinge' of the structure of John's text.] The
death and resurrection of Lazarus, being the last of the 'signs' of
John, made VERY apparent the DOXA of God, and through that DOXA, the
glorification of the Son. [It was indeed so much apparent that upon
its completion, the decision to kill Jesus was made by the Pharisees
[11:53].] The manner of Peter's death will likewise do the same
thing, differently.

> Does this literary unit constitute an inclusio? Is it to be taken as a
> volitional imperative? Or, is this an example of John moving from
> particularity to generality?

I just took it as a statement of future fact.

The thematic unity of DOXA does seem to have three prongs ~ Original
[God's], Derived [Human], and Purposive, [as in making very apparent
so as to bridge human and Divine.] One little Greek word...

I'm looking forward to Ben's thoughts on this...

George