Re: Colossians 1 questions

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Wed Apr 01 1998 - 16:30:18 EST

At 10:41 AM 4/1/98 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 8:45 AM -0600 4/1/98, Jonathan Robie wrote:

>>Verse 2: TOIS EN KOLOSSAIS hAGIOIS KAI PISTOIS ADELFOIS EN CRISTWi
>>
>>Is hAGIOIS an adjective or a noun here? Is this written to "the saints in
>>Colossia and the faithful brethren in Christ", or to "the holy and faithful
>>brethren in Christ who are in Colossia"?
>
>I'd say that hAGIOIS is a substantive: "the holy (ones) = "the saints"--
>but the one article TOIS, I think, functions to govern the entire dative
>plural construction.

If it is treated as a substantive, does this read like two groups? "to (a)
the saints in colossia and (b) the faithful brethren in Christ"?

Thanks for the clarifications on all the rest!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons