Re: Colossians 1 questions

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Apr 02 1998 - 17:09:11 EST

At 05:34 AM 4/2/98 -0800, Jane Harper wrote:

>> Well, I dislike "siblings" as a translation... I use brethren as a
>> gender-neutral form of "brothers", which reflects my understanding of
>> ADELFOI.
>
>I'm not sure where the idea that "brethren" is gender-neutral comes from
.. it
>certainly doesn't include us "sistern". [And I might add at this point there
>are NO style sheets, whether APA, MLA, Chicago, Vancouver, or whatever, that
>still consider male nouns or pronouns generic.]

Well, if "brethren" is not gender-neutral, then there would be no advantage
to using it in translation. When I use the term, I think of it as
gender-neutral. I'm not trying to offend the "cisterns" (is that really the
right word?).

What I'd really like is a term like "siblings" that has warmth and life,
and which any 5 year old would be familiar with. What's the word I'm
fishing for?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine