hOI EK PISTEWS

From: Arto Hoikkala (hoikkala@myy.helia.fi)
Date: Sun Apr 19 1998 - 09:51:57 EDT

Dear B-GREEKers,

I have some problems concerning hOI EK PISTEWS in Galatians. Should I
understand hOI EK PISTEWS in Gal 3:7,9 as A) a separate and independent
saying having a clear message on its own (like 'those who have faith' or
'those who believe') or B) should I connect it with the following verb and
related words (EISIN in verse 7 and EULOGOUNTAI in verse 9)? In verse 7
hOUTOI seems to indicate that hOI EK PISTEWS is separate, but verse 9
doesn't have such hOUTOI.

Gal 3:7
 GINWSKETE ARA hOTI hOI EK PISTEWS hOUTOI hUIOI EISIN ABRAAM
 Know then that [only] those
   A) who have faith are sons of Abraham.
   B) who are sons because of faith are sons of Abraham.

Gal 3:9
 hWSTE hOI EK PISTEWS EULOGOUNTAI SUN TWi PISTWi ABRAAM
 So that [only] those
   A) who have faith are blessed with believing Abraham.
   B) who are blessed because of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.

Arto