Re: Jn 21:15-17 (and getting woollier..)

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Sat Apr 18 1998 - 01:11:07 EDT

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:25:12 -0400 "Perry L. Stepp" <plstepp@flash.net>
writes:
>> From: Jim West [mailto:jwest@highland.net]
>
>> >I'm wondering what the actual words uttered by Christ might have
been,
>> >assuming He spoke in Aramaic. Any thoughts?
>
>> It doesn't matter. The story is a Johannine construct.
>

>Dr. West,
>
>If you're not going to accept the assumptions under which the question
was
>asked--and they aren't unreasonable--then your response is not
constructive.
>(Not to mention the potential your response has for starting a flame war
>that's completely foreign to the purpose of b-greek.)
>
>PLStepp

Even though the passage is a Johannine construct, the actual words spoken
by Christ here seem especially germane to the argument. Of course, we do
not know exactly what those words in Aramaic/Hebrew were. Nevertheless,
if it could be determined that the Aramaic/Hebrew knew of no such
equivalent distinction as found in the Greek AGAPAW and FILEW, and if the
same word would have been used for both, then this would certainly
support the synonymous interpretation of AGAPAS and FILEIS in Jn
21:15-17.

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]