hUYEI and TAPEINWSEI in James 1:9-10

From: Paul Zellmer (zellmer@isabela.faith.edu.ph)
Date: Sat Apr 18 1998 - 20:27:17 EDT

So we're still in the first chapter of James in our translation. Even
we take breaks for Easter!

In vv 9-10 we have two nouns whose forms sure look like they may be
based on future subjunctives (?!). Is the subjunctive idea a
possibility in these texts: EN TWi hUYEI AUTOU and EN THi TAPEINWSEI
AUTOU? (I'm guessing that the sigma came into both forms through the
future, since I see no evidence of a residual sigma-alpha.)

I realize that they cannot be "straight" subjunctives, because they are
used in prepositional clauses. But if the subjunctive concept carries
through to the nominal form, these verses would then have the possible
implication that the "boasting" is conditional on a change of status.
It looks to me like guidelines for possible testimonies!

What's your thoughts?

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines