Re: OINOS

From: Theodore H. Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Wed Apr 22 1998 - 00:36:40 EDT

Dr. Theodore "Ted" H. Mann
Orchard Lake, Michigan
thmann@juno.com

Ward Powers writes (snip):

> I draw attention to the NT use [see Mt 9:17//Mk 2:22//Lk 5:37-38] of
OINOS in the saying of Jesus about "new wine" [or "young wine"] and new
or old >wineskins. The point of the saying, drawing upon current
practice, is that what is put into the wineskins is going to ferment in
the skins: and "old wineskins",
>previously already used, will not be able to withstand the build-up of
gas and will burst. Therefore "new wineskins" are used. In keeping with
the
>description of the skins as "new", and the contrast that is being drawn
with those that are "old", and the meaning that Jesus is setting forth by
means of
>this saying, the wine that is being put into the skins is called "new".
This is because this newness is the focus of what Jesus is saying; and it

>links with the parallel saying about new material on an old garment.
But: the fact remains that the liquid which is being put into the skins
and
>which will ferment in the skins, is called OINOS when it is put in.

Was grape juice normally fermented in wineskins, or Is it possible that
at the time "new wine" was put into the skins it simply had not
completed the fermentation process, thus making new wineskins
unsatisfactory? Perhaps "new wine" refers to wine which has begun, but
not finished the process of fermentation. Does anyone know enough about
wine making to comment? (Isn't it interesting the way such factors play a
role in determining the meaning of a term within a given context? I'm
amazed.)

Best,

Ted

Dr. Theodore "Ted" H. Mann
Orchard Lake, Michigan
thmann@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]