Re: Jn 21:15-17

From: Nicholas Corduan (nickc@iquest.net)
Date: Mon Apr 20 1998 - 09:42:06 EDT

Myron,

> Are you committed to me?
> I feel strongly for you.
> Are you commited to me?
> I feel strongly for you.
> Do you really feel strongly for me?
               ^^^^^^

But this word is an interpolation based on an assumption that the flow of
the discussion is Jesus's asking one thing and Peter's answering another,
until Jesus gets fed up and asks Peter if he really even means that.

> 4) Or imagine a similar conversation taking place between husband and
> wife. Whatever word I substitute I can just hear my wife saying, "why
> can't you use the same word I use?"

I can easily imagine a similar conversation:

Marsha: "Do you love me?"
Peter: "Yes, I care for you deeply."
Marsha: "Do you love me?"
Peter: "Yes, I care for you deeply."
Marsha: "Do you care for me deeply?"
Peter: "Yes, I care for you deeply."

You could, on the one hand take such a conversation the way you are
suggesting, but you could also just view it as Peter's answering Marsha
with slightly different phraseology to show that he is nt just respond,
"Yeah, sure, Marsha, whatever you say,' but is actually giving her a
confirmation from his own design. And Marsha is just seeing re-assurance,
enjoying the expressions of love.

Nick---

---
Nick Corduan                 "...there is as much dignity in tilling
     at                       a field as in writing a poem."
(nickc@iquest.net)                           --Booker T. Washington