RE: Either/Or?

From: Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 15:53:29 EDT

> From: Eric Weiss [mailto:eweiss@gte.net]

> How would the Loeb Classical Library volumes (Greek on one page, English
> on the other) on the Papyri (3 volumes, I believe) do for this kind of
> extra-NT Koine reading?

For what *I* try to do (the type of reading I described in my earlier post,
which I assume you're responding to), they're fabulously helpful. Keep in
mind that the type of reading of secular Greek I do is not really designed
to "sharpen my chops"--I'm reading conceptually, looking for things that
help me understand how people "commonly" thought/expressed themselves.

If your central aim is improving your Greek reading skills, the English
translations in the Loeb series are too great a temptation (at least for
me.) Better to stumble through without a crutch, then check your
translation later. Dr. Hobbs has some sage advice on this point, I believe.

PLStepp

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan
Keeper of the Top-10, news://alt.fan.letterman

I know Hell is real--I've dealt with Comp USA's
customer service department!Ê So repent!Ê
(Or at least go to Best Buy.)

Seeing upon how slippery a place
Fortune for mortals and misfortune stand.
Therefore the man that lives at ease should look
For rocks ahead, and when he prospers most
Watch lest he suffer shipwreck unawares.
               --Sophocles, *Philoctetes* 502-06