Re: 2Cor. 3:18

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Sun May 03 1998 - 15:12:08 EDT

Mary L B Pendergraft wrote:

> There's no aorist in this passage.

Thanks, Mary ~

I'm glad I put the question mark after my aorist suggestion.

That being the case, then the passage would seem to mean "only while
we are looking are we catching [reflecting]", which gives the force of
an almost imperatival injunction, fraught with the possibility of
loss.
Which would indeed seem to blend well with the intended Hebraic
audience/reader. It would also then seem to rule out the idea of
accumulation of radiance, the building of it into ones 'character', as
it were, that the aorist might imply, thus denying us the comfort of
resting on his or her laurels. It only happens in the ongoingness of
the present tense.

This makes a lot more sense...

Thanks again ~ My parsing ability these days is embarassingly
limited. I rely on a text that has been parsed for me. This one
wasn't!

George Blaisdell