What did Nicodemus hear?

From: WmHBoyd@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 23 1998 - 18:50:25 EDT

John 3:3 - GENNHQH ANWQEV - commonly translated "born again," but sometimes
"born from above." It looks to me like "born from above" retaing the meaning
of the root and is "more full equivalent" of ANWQEV, but I am puzzled by
Nicodemus' response. Why would "born from above" make him think a person
would have to enter a second time into his mother's womb? I suspect this is
why "born again" is a popular translation of this word, but is that what the
word is really saying? If your answer is theological, I would appreciate your
thought's off line, but my question for the GREEKS is, am I missing something
in the word "ANWQEN" that would imply repetition? Or am I hearing something
that isn't there when I hear "born from above?"

William Boyd (The little bitty Greek)
Royal Palm Beach, Florida

---
b-greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek