RE: What did Nicodemus hear?

From: Stevens, Charles C (Charles.Stevens@unisys.com)
Date: Wed Jun 24 1998 - 12:50:38 EDT

>From another "itty bitty greek":

The NAB (UNrevised New Testament, as of 1970) has "begotten from above"
for John 3:3, and defends that choice in the notes (at least in part) on
linguistic as well as semantic grounds as follows:

<<*Begotten*: The Greek verb can mean "born" from a female principle,
or "begotten" by a male principle. As in 1:13, John primarily means it
as "begotten", though many early versions translate it as "born" or
even, with heightened baptismal symbolism, "reborn". *From above*: the
Greek term *anothen* means both "again" and "from above." V. 31 below
shows that Jesus means it as "from above", but Nicodemus misunderstands.
(A misunderstanding that brings out Jesus' teaching is a common literary
device in John.>>

I've always liked that explanation. I should note, though, that as I
remember it the Revised New Testament of the New American Bible reverts
to a more "traditional" translation here (I forget exactly what it is),
but retains a similar explanation in the notes.

What Nicodemus *heard* was exactly what Jesus said -- GENNHQH ANWQEN.
The contention of the editors is that Jesus *meant* it as "begotten from
above*, but Nicodemus *understood* those very words as "born again".

    -Chuck Stevens [SMTP: Charles.Stevens@unisys.com]

---
b-greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek