Re: Does the NT contain evident that Jesus was worshipped?

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 24 1998 - 18:07:41 EDT

On Wed 24 Jun 98 (05:46:55), questioning1@yahoo.com wrote:
> Therefore, Matthew is reporting that Jesus said ONLY YHWH is to be
> "worshiped." This doesn't mean, however, that YHWH is the only one Who
> can properly receive PROSKEUNEW. It is my contention that PROSKEUNEW
> does not PRIMARILY denote "worship." This is seen in a number of ways:
> [excellent homework snipped]

 Dear Edgar:

 With respect, I would want to look at the reaction when Cornelius fell
 down at Peter's feet "and worshipped him" PESWN EPI PODAS PROSEKUNHSEN.
 Peter replied "...ANASTHQIá KAI EGW AUTOS ANQRWPOS EIMI" (Acts 10:25-26).
 Clearly this ANQRWPOS EIMI is Peter's rejection of any hint of aspirations
 to deity or godlike status, ¶implied by¶ the verb PROSKUNEW. This was not
 just the KENTURIWN "saluting" his superior officer, like his CILIARCOS. You
 stand to attention to salute; you don't do it from a prone lying position!

 There is the very similar passage in Revelation, where John falls down to
 worship the angel who revealed certain things to him. John writes "...
 EPESA PROSKUNHSAI EMPROSQEN TWN PODWN TOU AGGELOU TOU DEIKNOUONTOS MOI
 TAUTA" (Revelation 22:8). The angel replied "hORA MHá SUNDOULOS SOU EIMI
 KAI TWN ADELFWN SOU TWN PROFHTWN KAI TWN THROUNTWN TOUS LOGOUS TOU BIBLIOU
 TOUTOUá TWi QEWi PROSKUNHSON". Clearly again, the angel denies in the
 strongest terms any aspirations to deity: only Deity is to be worshipped
 by any creature.

 I hesitate to mention Romans 1:25, because the verb there is SEBAZOMAI, not
 PROSKUNEW; but here are men who change the truth of God into a lie (what
 John's angel referred to as TOUS LOGOUS TOU BIBLIOU TOUTOU) and worshipped
 the creature, instead of the Creator Who is blessed for ever: "hOITINES
 METHLLAXAN THN ALHQIAN TOU QEOU EN TWi YEUDEI KAI ESEBASQHSAN KAI ELATREUSAN
 THi KTISEI PARA TON KTISANTA, hOS ESTIN EULOGHTOS EIS TOUS AIWNAS, AMHN".

 My "Amen" goes to that too.

 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF