Re: Saved by Grace?

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Jul 03 1998 - 07:18:12 EDT

At 10:45 AM 7/2/98, Steve Amato wrote:
>Eph 2:5 CARITI ESTE SESWSMENOI
>Eph 2:8 TH GAR CARITI ESTE SESWSMENOI DIA THS PISTEWS
>
>Can CARITI in these verses be understood as adverbial datives (datives of
>manner)?
>
> "With Grace (= Graciously) you have been saved"

[...SNIP...]

I think these are normally seen as instrumental datives: "by grace you have
been saved". Your suggestion to translate them as adverbial datives is
intriguing, pointing to the graciousness of God. If this is what was
intended, then it is reinforced by QEOU TO DORON at the end of 2:8. (I
still prefer the instrumental dative, but I can't put my finger on why.)

>I find it interesting that these phrases stand before the verb. Is there
>any significance to their position?

Whatever is stressed in a Greek sentence tends to come first. These phrases
emphasize CARITI.

>I noticed a similar construction in 1Pet 1:5
>TOUS EN DUNAMEI QEOU FROUROUMENOUS DIA PISTEWS
>"Who because of God's power are being kept by means of faith"
>as opposed to
>"Who by means of God's power are being kept by means of faith"
>(Two mechanisms seem awkward)

Somehow, two mechanisms doesn't seem to bother me. God's power has enabled
us to be kept by faith. Grace has enabled us to be saved by faith.

><FONT FACE="SYMBOL"> touV en dunamei qeou frouroumenouV dia pistewV
></FONT>

I've experimented with this myself. It doesn't work in many people's
mailers, so we can't use it. Most people receive B-Greek only via email.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons