Re: God's Wrath

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 07:40:30 EDT

Trevor Forrester wrote:

> Hence my query again, is there any evidence, manuscript or other wise to
> support Dodd's claim that "GAR ORGE QEOU" as found in Romans 1:18 Colossians
> 3:6 and Ephesians 5:6, does not mean God's anger or wrath. 'QEOU' is
> acording to Moulton is in the genetive which denotes ownership. This is the
> case in all three examples thus my quandary.

Trevor,

For a full discussion and refutation of C. H. Dodd's position on Romans 1:18
you should see C. E. B. Cranfield, "Epistle to the Romans", ICC, Vol 1. page
108ff.

I checked a few other works on Romans (Sandy & Hedlam, H.A.W Meyer, Godet,
Hodge, Calvin, John Murray) and C. H. Dodd found no friends among any of
these on this subject.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point