Re: God's Wrath

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 08:11:48 EDT

At 03:20 PM 7/6/98 +1000, you wrote:
>I recently posted a query to the list about CH Dodds claim that God is never
>used by Paul as the subject of the verb 'to be angry'. Alas I received no
>reponse from the list members at all. So I must assume one of several
>things, either nobody knows anything about this(which I doubt) or nobody is
>interested in helping a struggling greek student find and answer to a
>question that has serious theological ramifications.

I myself never saw your question.

>Hence my query again, is there any evidence, manuscript or other wise to
>support Dodd's claim that "GAR ORGE QEOU" as found in Romans 1:18 Colossians
>3:6 and Ephesians 5:6, does not mean God's anger or wrath. 'QEOU' is
>acording to Moulton is in the genetive which denotes ownership. This is the
>case in all three examples thus my quandary.

I think this phrase clearly describes the wrath which God pours out on
unbelief. That is what Paul means, that is the common understanding among
many Jewish groups in the Second Temple period, and to take it in some other
way, seems to me, IMHO, impossible.

>Regards

Best,

Jim