Re: follow up

From: Christopher Hutson (crhutson@salisbury.net)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 14:01:55 EDT

Nichael's question and Jim's reply:

>>Right, I understand that; my question was would "inner room" ever be
used
>>as a euphemism for a privy? I.e. (and this is genuine question)
were
>>privies ever _inner_ rooms in, as it were, sitz in leben? And as
such
>>would the intended audience have ever made the necessary connection?

>Yes it is- I am thinking in particular of the story in Judges where
Ehud
>goes into the toilet to stab Eglon! In Hebrew, the text is quite
clear that
>Eglon is sitting on the toilet- Ehud comes in, Eglon stands up (in a
quite
>compromising way!!) and he is gutted!

I think Jim is on the right track here. This seems like a question
for archaeologists rather than linguists. Nichael, you might want to
check out Baruch Halpern, "The Assassination of Eglon--The First
Locked-Room Murder Mystery," Bible Review 4.6 (1988). 32-41, 44. Of
course, Halpern is discussing the architecture of Late Bronze Age
Palestine, so you would have to check other sources on "inner
chambers" in first-century dwellings.

Once you establish that TAMEION *could* refer to a "privy," you must
establish exegetically that it *does* in this particular case. That
will be more difficult.

Let us know what you flush out.

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson