The fronting of TOUTOU, James 1:26

From: Paul R. Zellmer (zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph)
Date: Sat Jul 11 1998 - 04:47:20 EDT

The word order for the independent clause TOUTOU MATAIOS hH QRHSKEIA in James 1:26 seems unusual to me. The referent for the pronoun seems to be TIS, found at the beginning of the verse, and it is in the genitive. I guess I must be confused as to what type of genitive it is. From the translations, I would have expected hH QRHSKEIA TOUTOU MATAIOS ESTIN or, for emphasis, MATAIOS hH QRHSKEIA TOUTOU. What's going on with what we actually find here?

Thanks,

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines