Re: Reitzenstein Poimandres 1904

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Jul 12 1998 - 11:53:35 EDT

Steven Cox wrote:

>Does anyone know anything about Reitzenstein's Poimandres 1904
>cited in BAGD? It is not listed in LSJ.
>The absence from LSJ and the title suggest it is a patristic
>collection of some kind?

Ten days ago, I responded to Steven Cox's question, pointing out that
Reitzenstein's _Poimandres_ is NOT an edition of the "Poimandres", but
a collection of his studies, which includes printing some selections
from the text.

Daniel Rian~o, who often supplies useful bibliographical information,
has just posted the statement that "The text was edited by Reitzenstein
in 1904" ; but I fear he has not actually looked at the volume. It is
as I said: a collection of his essays, with some selections printed which
are related to his studies of them. It is not regarded as an edition of
"Poimandres." Unless he has a copy different from ours here at Harvard.
(We have three copies, so to speak--the original book, a photocopy, and a
microfilm of it.)

Edward Hobbs