Re: PAIDAGWGOS -Gal. 3:24, 25

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 07:31:06 EDT

At 2:59 AM -0400 7/16/98, Russ Herald wrote:
>I am new to b-greek, and a "little" greek (a ThM. student).

Just a note here: some of us are more than a little uncomfortable with
Jonathan's pet name, "little greek." As I said when he first brought it up,
it almost always makes me think at once of Juvenal's vicious caricature of
the GRAECULUS ESURIENS, the "poor little starveling Greek" from his satire
on the city.

>When
>interpreting/translating PAIDAGWGOS, can we actually understand the word as
>its used here without reference in some way to parallel constructions in
>the context? It seems to me that Paul's repeated use of UPO + accusative
>is much more than coincidence - He is sketching pictures of what he wants
>to say. If these are parallel constructions then being "under" a
>PAIDAGWGOS would parallel UPO EPITROPOUS . . . KAI OIKONOMOUS in 4:2, etc.
>In my very inexperienced view Jim West seems right in saying "[Paul] is
>more interested here in the purpose of the law rather than the personality
>of the pedagogue."

I think this observation is right on target: it is indeed the function of
Torah, both in the long-run of salvation history and in the current life of
believers, that is the focus of this discussion in Gal 3. In fact, I think
that Edgar's closing question in his original post in this thread somewhat
skewed the discussion to the extent that it has focused on the personality
of the PAIDAGWGOS.
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu