Re: PISTEUW + EPI + dative

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 15:11:23 EDT

At 11:19 AM 7/18/98 -0700, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>In Acts 13:12 the phrase EPI THi DIDACHi TOU KURIOU is joined with the
>participle EKPLYSSOMENOS without comment in the several commentaries I
>checked. It seems that one could also join this phrase to EPISTEUSEN,
>understanding the phrase EPI THi DIDACHi TOU KURIOU as providing the content
>of EPISTEUSEN. In this case the participle EKPLYSSOMENOS could serve an
>adverbial function limiting EPISTEUSEN.

        Clayton's observation that EKPLHSSOMENOS does not go with EPI THi DIDACHi
TOU KURIOU seems correct. But since EKPLHSSOMENOS is a *present*
participle, it may go with the present participle in the first part of the
verse, i.e. IDWN and not with the aorist verb EPISTEUSEN. And since in
Greek the perfect tense (of GEGONOS) emphasizes lasting effect rather than
past time, we might say that he believed in the DIDACH of the Lord as he
contemplated with amazement these happenings. DIDACH, then can have its
usual meaning, referring to the teaching Paul had conveyed to the
proconsul, rather than to the amazing impact of Paul's power encounter with
the magician.

Regards,
David Moore

David L. Moore