Re: PISTEUW + EPI + dative

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 21:16:35 EDT

At 03:11 PM 7/18/98 -0400, David L. Moore wrote:
>At 11:19 AM 7/18/98 -0700, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>>In Acts 13:12 the phrase EPI THi DIDACHi TOU KURIOU is joined with the
>>participle EKPLYSSOMENOS without comment in the several commentaries I
>>checked. It seems that one could also join this phrase to EPISTEUSEN,
>>understanding the phrase EPI THi DIDACHi TOU KURIOU as providing the
content
>>of EPISTEUSEN. In this case the participle EKPLYSSOMENOS could serve an
>>adverbial function limiting EPISTEUSEN.
>
> Clayton's observation that EKPLHSSOMENOS does not go with EPI THi DIDACHi
>TOU KURIOU seems correct. But since EKPLHSSOMENOS is a *present*
>participle, it may go with the present participle in the first part of the
>verse, i.e. IDWN

Oops!
IDWN is an aorist participle.

        Looks like the idea I presented on this didn't hold together.

        Apparently it is saying that what happened brought home to the proconsul
what Paul was teaching about (the crucifixion and resurrection of) Christ.

Apologies to all,
David Moore
David L. Moore
Miami, Florida, USA