Where to get Septuagint: Fw: How to study, what to use....

From: Steven Augart (swa@ISI.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 16:00:57 EDT

> The other big text you can read is the Septuagint, which is the Old
> Testament also the Apocrypha is available. Many volumes have them together.
> They are availible together through www.cbd.com for $25 in a parallel
> version.

www.chrbook.com, actually.

To be more exact, there are two editions, one by Lancelot
C. L. Brenton, "Septuagint with Apocrypha: Greek and English",
Hendrickson Publishers, steeply discounted to $24.95:

  http://www.chrbook.com/Christian/Books/browse_product.html?prod.item_no=73442

And one by Alfred Rahlfs, "Septuaginta", published by and also
available through the American Bible Society: $52.95.

  http://www.chrbook.com/Christian/Books/browse_product.html?prod.item_no=56404

If anyone has used either or both editions, it would be helpful for me
to hear your comments. I currently have the Brenton edition on order
from AMAZON.COM (for more money, $31.47).

While we're on the topic of CBD, I want to mention (this has probably
already appeared on this list; I'm a new member) that they have a
closeout special, the Zondervan Greek New Testament with NRSV and NIV
Parallel for just $15:

  http://www.chrbook.com/Christian/Books/browse_product.html?prod.item_no=41400

This might not appeal to most folks, since it lacks all textual
apparatus except for footnotes giving any variant
readings cited in the NRSV and NIV footnotes. I think it's a great
inexpensive way to have a dual-language edition for bible study, and
it's what I'm using right now, at least until my Nestle-Aland
Greek-English arrives.

--Steve Augart

--
Steven Augart