Re: Where to get Septuagint: Fw: How to study, what to use....

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 20:53:48 EDT

On Tue 21 Jul 98 (13:00:57), swa@isi.edu wrote:
> If anyone has used either or both editions, it would be helpful for me
> to hear your comments. I currently have the Brenton edition on order
> from AMAZON.COM (for more money, $31.47).

 Dear Steve,

 I have had my Brenton for about 5 years now, and refer to it quite often.
 It gives an interesting slant on the Hebrew where it differs from the MT;
 and of course it was the Bible of the early Church, witness the quotations
 from it and allusions to it in the GNT.

 The Greek font is quite easy on my eyes; more legible than the Greek of
 the Nestle-Aland 27. Auflage. The page layout is a diglott, not an
 interlinear; the English is in a narrow column on the outside edge of each
 page. The point size of the English is much smaller, and this would be a
 drawback if you wanted to read it carefully. But I only use the English to
 locate the Greek passage, and then just concentrate on the Greek. The
 chapter-and-versification is not always identical to the Hebrew; indeed
 in some places it is entirely different (!) so it is useful to have the
 English to see quickly "what is going on".

 Not being an interlinear, you don't have the distraction and the temptation
 of constantly reading the English and Greek together, instead of parsing
 and construing it on its own.

 Mine cost me the full published price (about £30 or $50). I think it well
 worth the money, and I wouldn't be without it.

 Go for it!

 ERRWSQE,
 Ben

--