RE: Granville-Sharp in Matt 5:20??

From: Williams, Wes (Wes.Williams@echostar.com)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 13:50:48 EDT

        I would like to know your opinion whether or not the phrase TWN
        GRAMMATEWN KAI FARISAIWN in Matt 5:20 is an example of
        Granville-Sharp rule i.e. speaks of the same person ...

Dear Timo,

To which Granville-Sharp "rule" do you refer? He proposed several.

If you apply his strict rule ( which has been the subject of debate, as
proposed rules tend to be ), the expression TWN GRAMMATEWN KAI FARISAIWN in
Matt 5:20 is not a Granville Sharp construction. The reason is that the
nouns are plurals. Sharp rejected plural nouns due to references like those
found at Matthew 21:12 TOUS PWLOUNTAS KAI AGORAZONTAS EN TWi hIERWi "the
ones who were buying and selling in the temple", hardly a reference to the
same group.

Therefore, we must exercise care when it comes to applying "rules" and
include other exegetical techniques. At Luke 15:2, "Scribes" and "Pharisees"
are separated by KAI and both have the article. What is it's significance in
comparison with the usage at Matthew 5:20? Perhaps nothing.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams