RE: Granville-Sharp in Matt 5:20??

From: Stevens, Charles C (Charles.Stevens@unisys.com)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 15:07:30 EDT

On 23 July 1998 at 7:26 AM, Jim West suggested the validity of Timo
Fink's suggestion for Matthew 5:20, "For I say to you that unless your
righteousness surpasses that of the Scribes i.e. Pharisees, you will not
enter the kingdom of heaven." with the following comment:

<<I think so. I take it as a dscription of two groups- i.e., the
scribes (lawyers) and the pharisees. Yet the genitive indicates "the
scribes OF the pharisees"- i.e., the lawyers who happened to be
adherents of the Pharisaic persuasion.

> So, in my humble estimation, if you have a text using the genitive you
> may indeed have one thing whereas the absence of the genitive may
> indicate something else.>>

If TWN GRAMMATEWN KAI FARISAIWN is correctly translated "of the scribes
of the pharisees", where is the rendering of the conjunction "KAI" into
English, and what is its function in the Greek text?