RE: Granville-Sharp in Matt 5:20??

From: Dick Gorski (gorski@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 15:41:48 EDT

At 03:21 PM 7/23/98 +0300, you wrote:
>Howdy..
>
>I would like to know your opinion whether or not the phrase TWN
>GRAMMATEWN KAI FARISAIWN in Matt 5:20 is an example of
>Granville-Sharp rule i.e. speaks of the same person ...

Technically, this is not an example of Granville Sharp. This rule states if
a single article links two or more singular substantives (excluding personal
names), the second and subsequent substantives are related to or further
describe the first. Granville Sharp is often misapplied to plural nouns
such as GRAMMATEWN and FARISAIWN.

Nevertheless, a plural construction such as Matt 5:20 does indicate some
sort of correspondence between the two nouns. There is a discussion of this
construction with plural nouns in D.B. Wallace, "The Semantic Range of the
Article-Noun-Kai-Noun Plural Construction in the NT," Grace Theological
Journal 4 (1983). Wallace identifies the usage in this particular verse as
an example of the first group being contained within the second (ie, those
Pharisees who are also scribes).

Dick Gorski