DIAKONOS - etyomology

From: John M. Moe (John.M.Moe-1@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 13:09:17 EDT

In a work I am reviewing I ran across the following statement; ÒIt is
interesting to note that the word DIAKONIA, etymologically, means
Ôthrough the dust.ÕÓ Of all the works which I have been able to check,
TDNT, BAG ( I have an older ed,), LSJ, only Thayer addresses the
question of etymology. This 19th century work has Òby no means, as
was formerly thought, a compound of DIA and KONIS so as to mean prop.
Ôraising dust by hasteningÕ.Ó I have been assuming that what I am
dealing with is a persistent false notion, handed on as a sort of Òurban
legend.Ó I would like to point that out in my review in an attempt to
block the perpetuation of the false notion.
 My question is this. LSJ in itÕs entry on DIAKONEW has,
ÒDIA_KON-EW. Does that indicate a compound of DIA & KONEW? and if so,
does that mean that there may be something to the etymology which I have
assumed was flawed.

Thanks for any help

JM
--