Re: DIAKONOS - etymology

From: Daniel Ria–o (danielrr@mad.servicom.es)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 10:39:59 EDT

        It is not clear whether ** dia/konos ** is a deverbative from **
diakone/w ** , or (more probably) diakone/w comes from the agent name **
dia/konos ** and from it is formed ** diakone/w ** . The most plausible
hypothesis (cf. Chantraine "Dict. Etymol." and "DGE" s.v. ** dia/konos **
) considers ** dia/konos ** (with long alpha) coming from a verbal thema
*ken- that we can find in Gr. ** e)gkone/w ** ("be quick and active) an
micenean "ka-si-ko-no" a name that designates a particular occupation (see
the Diccionario Mic'enico Espan^ol). The long vowel in "dia-" is not easy
to explain. The relation with ** ko/nis ** is most improbable.
        The ** dia/nonos ** entry in vol. 5 of the "DGE" enlarges
considerably the same entry in LS&J. The "RBLG" quotes 8 works dealing with
the word ** dia/konos ** plus 6 more on ** diakoni/a ** , that I can
type if you feel you can need it.
        Reegards,
        Daniel