Re: Romans 16:7

From: Larry Swain (swainl@calcite.rocky.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 09 1998 - 19:12:56 EDT

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Theodore H. Mann wrote:

> Does this mean that Andronicus and Junias were apostles, or that they
> were highly thought of by the apostles? Or can it be understood either
> way?
> Many Thanks.

Good question. The text is ambiguous from our perspective and doesn't
answer the question.

THE FOLLOWING IS NON-GREEK CONTENT:

TO answer the question though, it depends on how you read the offices of
the early church. Following Conzelman, I think it clear that at least for
the Pauline churches there were apostles who were distinguished from the
12 who came to be referred as simply the 12 in contrast to other apostles.
Later Christian writings seem to support this view as well, the Didache
for instance (which if it were as early as the mid50s which some suggest
would indeed be evidence for this but see also Hermas and Ignatius in
particular for references to apostles who are not the 12) So there is
every possibility that these 2 folk were considered apostles. If you
would like further information contact me off list since the Greek of the
text won't illumine it much for you.

Larry Swain