Re: Romans 16:7

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Sun Aug 09 1998 - 19:39:31 EDT

At 05:12 PM 8/9/98 -0600, Larry Swain wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Theodore H. Mann wrote:
>
>> Does this mean that Andronicus and Junias were apostles, or that they
>> were highly thought of by the apostles? Or can it be understood either
>> way?
>> Many Thanks.
>
>Good question. The text is ambiguous from our perspective and doesn't
>answer the question.

Here's Robertson's comments from Word Pictures:

"Among the apostles (en tois apostolois). Naturally this means that they are
counted among the apostles in the general sense true of Barnabas, James,
the brother of Christ, Silas, and others. But it can mean simply that they
were famous in the circle of the apostles in the technical sense."

I agree with both the substance and the tone of this - to me, the most
natural reading is that they were among the apostles in the same way that
these others were. You have to stretch it a little to read it the second
way. But it requires nowhere near the stretching done by those who construe
Junia as male.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine