Re: Romans 16:7

From: Larry Swain (swainl@calcite.rocky.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 09 1998 - 23:43:58 EDT

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Here's Robertson's comments from Word Pictures:
>
> "Among the apostles (en tois apostolois). Naturally this means that they are
> counted among the apostles in the general sense true of Barnabas, James,
> the brother of Christ, Silas, and others. But it can mean simply that they
> were famous in the circle of the apostles in the technical sense."
>
> I agree with both the substance and the tone of this - to me, the most
> natural reading is that they were among the apostles in the same way that
> these others were. You have to stretch it a little to read it the second
> way.

I'm curious Jonathan, why you would make such a remark? Is there
something grammatically that leads you to say this that I've missed? It
seems to me that the two constructions one would expect would be this one
or a partitive genitive, but my impression (which I do reserve the right
to be wrong-Carl? Edward? Mary?) is that in Koine EN + Dative is as
common. So I'm curious.

Larry Swain