Re: Gal 4:14

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 06:22:37 EDT

At 3:52 AM -0400 8/11/98, Thomas Biddy wrote:
>Hi,
>
> 4:14 kai ton {AND} peirasmon {TEMPTATION} mou ton {MY} en {IN} th
> sarki mou {MY FLESH} ouk {NOT} exouqenhsate (5656) {YE DESPISED} oude
> {NOR} exeptusate (5656) {REJECTED WITH CONTEMPT;} all {BUT} wj {AS}
> aggelon {AN ANGEL} qeou {OF GOD} edexasqe (5662) {YE RECEIVED} me
> {ME,} wj {AS} criston {CHRIST} ihsoun {JESUS.}
>
>(Gal 4:14 NASB) and that which was a trial to you in my bodily condition
>you did not despise or loathe, but you received me
>as an angel of God
>as Christ Jesus Himself.
>
>I would like to know if there is any relation with 'as an angel' and 'as
>Christ'

I'm not altogether sure what the intent of the question is, but my
understanding of this text is that Paul begins to describe how he felt when
welcomed by the Galatians (and it should be noted that hWS AGGELON QEOU,
even if translated "as an angel of God" literally means "as a messenger of
God"--which certainly is his self-understanding--couldn't we say that it is
the CONTENT of the word APOSTOLOS?), but he then rhetorically corrects
himself by suggesting that his welcome was comparable to a welcome of
Christ Jesus. Perhaps it is beyond proving, but one would like to think
that the same tradition as that recorded in Matthew 25 underlies this
formulation. Certainly the same underlying idea is involved here as was
there.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu