Re: Gal 4:14

From: Thomas Biddy (web3943@charweb.org)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 07:49:31 EDT

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> >as an angel of God
> >as Christ Jesus Himself.
> >
> >I would like to know if there is any relation with 'as an angel' and 'as
> >Christ'
>
> I'm not altogether sure what the intent of the question is, but my
> understanding of this text is that Paul begins to describe how he felt when
> welcomed by the Galatians (and it should be noted that hWS AGGELON QEOU,
> even if translated "as an angel of God" literally means "as a messenger of
> God"--which certainly is his self-understanding--couldn't we say that it is
> the CONTENT of the word APOSTOLOS?),

Hi Carl,

That is what I thought:
(Heb 3:1 KJV) Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly
calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ
Jesus;

I am not a JW (we go to a United Meth. church) but I wondered about this
verse. We are discussing the word 'angel' on another list so I wanted to
see how ofen it refers to a human being.

> but he then rhetorically corrects
> himself

Corrects? Did he correct or expand upon it?

> by suggesting that his welcome was comparable to a welcome of
> Christ Jesus. Perhaps it is beyond proving, but one would like to think
> that the same tradition as that recorded in Matthew 25 underlies this
> formulation. Certainly the same underlying idea is involved here as was
> there.

The Mt 25 ref. helps to explain it.

Very Best,
Thomas