Re: Romans 8:28

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 21:11:37 EDT

On Wed 12 Aug 98 (11:37:54 +0000), steve@allegrographics.com wrote:
> the text reads PANTA SYNERGEI EIS AGAQON in H&F, but N-A reads PANTA
> SYNERGEI {hO QEOS} EIS AGAQON. My question is how does hO QEOS fit in
> the sentence? The NASB translates it "God causes all things to work
> together for good", but where does "causes" come from? Where is the verb
> for hO QEOS?

 Dear Steve,

 BM Metzger, in his invaluable /A Textual Commentary on the GNT/, 2nd Ed.,
 UBS, 1994, writes:

 "Although the reading SUNERGEI hO QEOS (P^46 A B 81 cop^sa (eth)
 Origen^gr2/5) is both ancient and noteworthy, a majority of the Committee
 deemed it too narrowly supported to be admitted into the text, particularly
 in view of the diversified support for the shorter reading (Aleph C D G K
 P Psi 33 614 1739 /Byz Lect/ it^d,g,61 vg syr^p,h cop^bo arm Clement
 Origen^gr3/5,lat Eusebius Lucifer Cyril-Jerusalem Chrysostom Augustine
 /al/). Since SUNERGEI may be taken to imply a personal subject, hO QEOS
 seems to have been a natural explanatory addition made by an Alexandrine
 editor." [op cit p 458].

 OIDAMEN DE hOTI TOIS AGAPWSIN TON QEON
 For we know that to them loving God

 PANTA SUNERGEI EIS AGAQON,
 everything works together for good,

 TOIS KATA PROQESIN KLHTOIS OUSIN
 to those [who] according to [His] purpose are called.

 SUNERGEI is singular, but has a plural subject [TA] PANTA, everything.
 Neuter plurals, especially generic terms, quite often are found with the
 verb in the singular. Evidently Metzger's Alexandrine editor construed
 PANTA as accusative, not nominative, and as the object, not the subject,
 of SUNERGEI.

 That's how it seems to me. And yes, I am familiar with the type of preacher
 for whom Romans 8:28 is a favourite verse! I'm quite fond of it myself
 too 8-)

 ERRWSQE,
 Ben

--